Voutrhoto and Foiniki



In Voutrhoto (Ag. Saranda), which, according to Virgil was built by Elenus, a hero of the Trojan war, there are findings of ancient walls, a Temple of Asclepius, a Gymnasium, a magnificent ancient theater, a prytaneion, Apollo’s head, a altar dedicated to Dionysus and many inscriptions in Greek language. Moreover, in the neighboring Foiniki, archaeologists excavated a theatre, tombs with sarcophaguses, a temple of Athena, a Gymnasium, etc. It should be noted that Foiniki, still keeps its ancient Greek name: Foiniki, capital of Chaonia.



 5 / 23 



Members login:
  
Summary of issues regarding North Epirus - OSCE meeting
May 17, 1914: Protocol of Corfu-Autonomy to N.Epirus
Latest Issue of North Epirotan Tribune
Aristotelis Goumas: “Sentenced to death twice”!
North Epirotan Tribune - January-February 2011